Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Where is the cartoon Moses in Exodus?

So I have a really short idea that I would like to throw out there today and it has been brewing in my head since training ( over a month ago)  but has come to a point in the past couple days...

So I was speaking to a friend a while back about the stories that we find in the Old Testament Bible. These stories often times paint vivid pictures of how people related to God in different ways. However, as someone who has grown up in the church I went to Sunday School and in the mornings I heard these different stories, I watched those movies and I imagined what happened. Now I do not at all wish to get into a discussion of taking the Bible literally word for word or anything like that, but I find I have a certain image of what these stories look like. And the best way I can describe this image in one word is "clean."

Since I have moved to Detroit I have begun reading through the Bible more regularly. I am currently in the middle of Exodus and around chapter 15 of Matthew. And well I am finding some conflicting images. See I for some reason cannot get these 3rd grade Sunday School images of the stories out of my head, but as I read these stories and these accounts of mankind's interaction with God and each other I find these to not be so accurate. As a child I saw The Prince of Egypt and other little cartoons of these characters and to be honest it was when I was a child that I heard a lot of these stories. So upon hearing these stories, watching these clips and seeing these cartoon like pictures on the walls I formed an idea of what happened. Now of course there may be the random sermon that may read over a portion of a story like the burning bush or the sacrifice of Isaac by Abraham, but I have failed to see these stories in their entirety. Why?

My mind is so confused in making images of what I am reading and what I have so deeply instilled in me. The image of God as an old white man with a white beard who is up in "Heaven" (aka the sky) looking down on me smiling, or who is angry and about to "smite me" (whatever that means) continues to haunt me! I want so badly to pull away from this boxed in image of a creator and these rigid, unemotional, questioning, but never REALLY doubting people who follow this God. Reading through some of these stories at this point in my life lights a new fire in my understanding of what it looks like to see the Old Testament as living breathing work that I can continue to learn from. I suppose in one word if I were to describe these stories and the image they leave me with now is "dirty." 

So it is quite the change. I feel it is my duty as one who claims Christianity and claims to somewhat understand the ins and outs of scripture to actually read it. I can no longer rely on these concepts of God that I formed when I was a child. Concepts where killing a man was him accidentally falling (like in Prince of Egypt) when in the scripture it says Moses "looked this way and that, and seeing no one he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand" (Exodus 2:12). Now I am not inferring that it was bad for a 3rd grade Brandon to see those cartoon stories and video clips, of course it makes sense to depict the stories in that light. However, I am frustrated with the 22 year old Brandon for allowing himself to continue to rely on those thoughts solely. Through out my undergrad I was challenged with these thoughts and challenged with knowing the Bible, but maybe I haven't made the effort, maybe I haven't been as passionate, maybe I was so much more concerned with reading the Bible as a textbook and not as a book that can provoke REAL life change. Maybe I was putting the Bible itself in a box. A box that was full of cartoon characters that fit neatly into my 3rd grade theology, right next to that big old white bearded God. So now I will keep reading, I think I am falling in love with the stories of people with real doubts, failures, pains, triumphs, fears, mistakes, victories and real emotions. I suppose in short I am falling in love with these people obeying, ignoring, failing and all the while desperately doing all they can to get to know the creator. Shouldn't we do the same? So here we go, onward through Exodus, coming with?

1 comment:

  1. I've been looking back through some YAMS 2012 blog posts and saw this one just now. I hear you on this one! I remember when I read through the whole Bible over the course of a few years, and being shocked that the stories I had learned in Sunday School didn't tell the full story. Just try to explain David's love life or Jonas' hatred for the Ninevites or OT genocide accounts to a child! It shows that we always need to reexamine our readings of the Bible and challenge assumptions we've formed. God's story is very real and at times can be "dirty" and difficult to grasp. But that doesn't mean that it isn't worth our time to read, pray about, and meditate on. As you said, the grittiness is what we can relate to and which God will use to show us the truth about a life spent pursuing him.

    ReplyDelete