Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Consumer America



As some of you may have seen via Twitter or Facebook, I was able to see Vice President Joe Biden speak on Labor Day (actually I got to shake his hand too). But anyway...This day really got me thinking a lot about what the different parties are saying and to be honest (I know this is no ground breaking thought) a lot of it feels like a sales pitch. Each candidate puts together his or her's best sales pitch which may include why they are qualified and often times includes why the other candidate is not. But bottom line we are choosing which candidate (or party) to invest in. A lot of this model makes me feel so very odd. The entire time during a speech the crowd is asking what can I gain? How are you going to help me be bigger, better, wealthier, safer, smarter? The American is once again a consumer on just another stage. We debate as to which candidate can gain more for the individual. Do not think for a second that I have it figured out who I will vote for or any such things, but I suppose I just want to mention the complexities of America simply voting to better itself, a people voting to simply better themselves, and on to the individual level. We are focused on "me." Instead maybe think of what ways can America as one of the most powerful nations in the world, thrive, not on the back of oppression or belittling others, and instead America can portray good. I don't know, something about "me" focused politics really doesn't feel right...

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree Brandon! Something needs to change in our country.
    P.S. Hope you're enjoying those Michigan lefts! :)

    ReplyDelete