Monday, August 27, 2012

Unlikely Teacher With A Hard Lesson

So story time:

Every Monday and Thursday at the NOAH project we provide bag lunches for any and everyone who would like to join. This obviously being my first Monday was of course a learning experience. I love these days though because they are great opportunities to just talk to people! So I was working at a station to check people in for services and a man named, we will call him, Tim comes to the table and we strike up a conversation. Tim is a fascinating man and little did I know he would challenge me in huge ways.
Tim asked what I studied in school and upon answering Religious Studies I knew I had struck a vein. However, Tim did not react the way I had usually encountered...his first question was why? And a tirade ensued asking why do I feel I need and education on something that the lord promises to equip us with? Tim was passionate about his stance that it is not education that I need but experience! Upon chewing on this whole situation I have not regretted in any way whatsoever my education, but I have just been more encouraged that this placement in Detroit is where I should be. Tim challenged me and called me out and I think he had some really important points that a church and believer sometimes can forget...
 We are not called to simply learn about God and his love and Jesus and his sacrifice and simply hold it in and "ponder" it formulating the best articulated theology. Instead as Tim said at one point take it to the street, take it to the darkness not to convert but to just encourage.
And upon walking away Tim turns to me and says I'll be here Thursday, I expect you to have memorized to Bible verses! Maybe we can all learn a little from Tim, looks like I need to go memorize scripture...

No comments:

Post a Comment