Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Time with the Family

One of the awesome things that occurred in the midst of my hiatus from blogging was I was able to sit and be with family, but there is so much to that.

I have experienced the awesome excitement of the day before traveling home after not being home for several months and the somewhat giddy childlike feeling of getting to go home to family and friends. I was so very excited to see friends after becoming engaged, catch people up in my life and learn about their's. I was excited to see my family whom some I hadn't seen for almost a year. To put it simply I was excited. As I should be right?!

I come back to a loving community that has certainly missed those that left and I am left with an odd understanding of what family can mean.

In my absence the NOAH Project closed for the holiday as there is an influx of other service agencies for the holiday season and the church we are housed in shuts down also, we take the much needed break to regroup and ready ourselves for the madness that awaits in January and February as grants are coming due. 

However, upon returning and talking with many of my friends who work, volunteer and just come to NOAH, there is something that other service agencies can't bring, something that is very dependent on the presence of those who are a part of NOAH. This is the aspect of family that becomes absent at a time that for many need it the most. 

This holiday season has taught me some beautiful things about homecoming and staying connected to home. However, I also have seen first hand the horribly painful feelings that can be associated with the holidays. I write this not to make anyone feel guilty about their holiday enjoyment (myself included), but to just make ourselves aware of the pains that are all around us, even in our most joyous times. I pray we have compassion and dont blind ourselves with our own personal drive for the "perfect holiday." In this time I am seeing more so what it means to spend time with family, both in North Carolina and in Detroit, Michigan. Family is all over and I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment