Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Why did I drink that coffee? What if I have to pee??


Here is a random and crazy story, happened yesterday:

Scene: Central UMC was a polling location yesterday and amongst the chaos of having two voting districts in the building, being drafted as a poll worker (that sounds weird) and still keeping social services open with NOAH.

Story: So I was in need of some cleaning supplies, so the maintenance worker, we will call him Jim and I took the elevator to the 5th floor to get to the supply closet. However, as we were going up there was a sudden jolt and the sound of a spring breaking...yes it happened...the elevator broke while I was on it! In case I have not shared it with you one of my many oddities, this is one of my weird thoughts, I have a fun game in my head in which whenever I get onto an elevator I automatically think "what if I get stuck on this elevator, with these people?" Well it finally happened to me...we were stuck. I asked, "has this ever happened before?" To that Jim answers, not since I've been here." (Jim has been working with the church for over 20 years). Immediately, I am thinking of the stories and movies I have seen where people are stuck on an elevator for days, so I am mapping out how to bust through the ceiling, and taking an inventory of the granola bar in my pocket and regretting the coffee I drank an hour prior. However, we opened the doors (slightly anti-climatic I know) and I jumped off as fast as I could (because I have seen the movies where just as the character gets off the elevator, it releases into a free fall to crash at the bottom of the shaft). Looking at it now, it is a pretty humorous story I must admit, but the elevator breakdown could not have happened on a worse day as we had people in scooters and wheel chairs on the second floor voting, and 4th floor eating after voting. So we spent a great deal of the next few hours carrying people down the stairs, scooters and all. What an adventure!! 

Anyway, it was a wild day, but to be honest I love days that are busy and slightly chaotic (every so often). It was really cool to see people from all over the church and community come out and work tirelessly to help people to vote in any way possible. Also, this has certainly taught me for the future, be nice to the people working/volunteering at the polls, maybe they just carried someone down the stairs because the elevator broke down? Never know!

Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment