Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Picking Locks

Just a short funny story to share today:

Today I am approached by a long time volunteer saying he is unable to open up the volunteer desk. Well this is pretty strange as this desk is never  locked because we leave the key in the lock. Well of course that key has since disappeared and we are left with a locked desk. Quite the frustration. 

So of course this desk had to be opened, maybe not so much out of need, more so out of desire. A couple YouTube searches later and I am going at the lock armed with two paper clips and a determination that is more pride than anything else.

There were a couple times I was sure I had gotten it only to find the paper clip had simply slid sideways. Half dejected and defeated a good friend and volunteer pokes his head around the desk to ask "WHAT are you doing down there?" I explained the locked desk and my defeat. Eyeing the desk he simply told me to walk away and he'd take care of it. 

Skeptical if he would pick the lock or break the desk drawer open I walked away to complete some paperwork. Not 5 minutes later I hear "Ohh Brandon!" And to my surprise I find the desk drawers opened and my friend smiling and pointing. Of course I convinced him to show me how he did it and to let me do it myself and a lesson was learned! Never boring at NOAH!

I think today just reinstalled the differences that we find at NOAH. Clearly at no point in my life had I picked a lock, but NOAH has given me the gift of being able to be a part of a family of people that all have incredibly different backgrounds. I believe these experiences add to the richness of our family and certainly the most "interesting" moments. Now regardless the reason of why my friend knows how to pick a lock I find so much beauty in the conversation and community we can have now, working towards a common goal of serving with those who walk in our doors, unlocking things as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment